Not So Shabby Chic

For those who are feminine, fashionable, funny and just a little nerdy.

Monday, September 06, 2010

Why I Hate Business Suits

This will be a short post. Basically, I work in a bank which requires me to dress in what is called "business appropriate" fashion. Most business attire for women is simply a female version of male business attire consisting of tailored suits (trousers or skirts and jackets). Back in the 70's and 80's this also included ridiculous looking bowties.

I'm a woman. I have a woman's figure which is soft and curvy and feminine. I don't want to dress like a man and I shouldn't have to dress like a man to be taken seriously in the business world. I prefer wearing a sweater or cardigan rather than a tailored jacket as the softer fabric fits my curves better. I like wearing skirts and dresses, but why should I have to masculinize them with a stiff jacket?

I like wearing high heels as many women do, but we're told that this is not business appropriate. Why is it not business appropriate? Is it because men don't wear heels? Do we have to wear flat loafers like men?

Men and women of the business world: Get over it! We're women and it's the 21st century. I don't want to dress like a man and I will not dress like a man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home